Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Two Days Down


With two days of my Yoga Teacher Training course behind me, I must say that I am truly enjoying it. My classmates appear to be in this course for  reasons similar to mine, as opposed to simply joining the fad of Yoga that is engulfing North America - a sincere fear I held in registering myself as I did not want this to be "that" kind of Yoga training. Like myself, many of them express self-doubt and fears about taking this training as Yoga is such a massive scope to take in. This is a direct indication of humbleness and respect for Yogic tradition.

When you begin to get serious about the whole Yoga and self-discovery thing, there's certainly plenty that arises that can leave you feeling uncomfortable and insecure - much like doing renovations where you tear out a lot of old stuff - stuff containing both fond and unpleasant memories in a lot of cases - to build something sturdy and new. Certainly, spending these eight consecutive days, followed by six, three day weekends with like minded people possessing an intense internal focus can open up a whole lot of personal issues. Needless to say, such a group will forge formidable and significant bonds. I must say that I feel particularly insecure about this as I am the only man in the class of 18. On an energy level it is quite interesting, but it does press my comfort zone to the point of feeling rather vulnerable. Despite my extrovert appearance, I am very introverted for the most part. Placing trust in such a group is quite an adventure, and I am amazed at how much we have all shared after such a short period of time. I guess that says something about sangha and instincts.

Over many conversations with my classmates, there seems to be a mutual feeling that much of the mainstream Yoga is going the way of greed and elitism, and it can take away from the more simplistic Yoga experience. Again, this is something I appreciate and am grateful for. Though these acquaintances are in their infancy, I feel that many of these people will take this sentiment into their teaching, and hopefully keep the true spark of Yoga alive long past when the present flare of fashionable and financial Yoga is extinguished in North America.

...and so tomorrow: day #3.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 a.m. , Anonymous Kerri said...

    Ed I understand your musing completely. After 15 years out of the saddle and absolutely no formal training I am learning dressage. Now lets not even go in to the financial elitism of it all - YIKES!!! But the depth of growth, the amount of the of enlightenment and what is yet to learn has left me scared, and very willing to curl up in the corner and suck my thumb. I have decided to see it through. It has been a dream for me, but taking it on at 36... well I have found forgotten muscles groups, seat bones, and I don't think the brain fires as fast as it once did! Cheers to enlightenment beyond the superficial! I need a drink.

     
  • At 5:47 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    I love it! That's the key to a happy life - not fearing great and new undertakings, regardless of age. Go for it and enjoy it - even the aches, because, like falling down a mountain, it's all part of what makes it wonderful and worth doing!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home